Sunday, September 16, 2012

DIY French Board

As you may know, I started a new job at my company a few months back, which involved moving to a different office in the same town.  Now that I'm settled in and (finally) feel like I know at least a little bit what I'm doing, I decided my dull gray cubicle could use some sprucing up, so yesterday evening I made myself a colorful floral french board to hang at my desk.


I looked at a few tutorials before starting my project, but didn't follow any one in particular because the concept is pretty simple.  Basically, it involves cutting out some batting and fabric an inch or two bigger than your canvas, pulling it taught over the edges, then using a regular stapler or staple gun to staple it down.


I made a big X with the first two pieces of ribbon, then eyeballed the rest to layout the grid.  Once I was satisfied with the way it looked, I actually used scotch tape to hold the ribbons in place, then flipped over the French board and stapled down the ribbons.


Last but not least, I sewed on the yellow buttons where the ribbons intersected, and voila!  I have a happy new French board to cheer up my work space.  The whole project took about 2 hours start to finish, and since the canvas had a hole in it, I got it at a 50% damage discount, so the whole project cost about $10.


My grandpa has recently been sending me a lot of vintage photos of my family, so I'm excited to hang some of them on the board.  I can't wait to see what it looks like it my office!



I hope you've been crafting away, possibly on some fall projects...?  The weather has definitely been cooling off here!  (Well, in Florida terms.  So like 88 in the day and 70 at night. Ha!).

Thanks for reading, and happy crafting!
--CC

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day, so comment away! (Hey, that rhymes!) As always, thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...