Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pocket Tissue Tutorial Review and a Fail

I haven't had a lot of time to sew lately between my boyfriend graduating from college and his parents being in town and trying to finish up my Christmas shopping before we drive back home to Missouri. I got finished and wrapped up, though!

Notice no bows on the boxes or tissue paper on the bags because the kitty would eat it before it was time to open the presents.

Between all this, though, I managed to fit in time to use the pocket tissue tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew that I'd been meaning to try. I thought it would be quick and easy. The directions were simple enough and it was basically just sewing straight lines, so I was surprised when I messed up the first one. My seam allowances were too wide and I made it way to short for tissues. Oops!

So I made another. The second turned out a little better, than the first, but it still wasn't quite long enough for tissues.

I noticed that the seams on the inside were crowding the tissues, and when I flipped the pocket tissue holder inside out to take the last picture, I got an idea. What if the seams were on the outside? So I sewed another one my own way, with the seams on the outside and a zig-zag stitch to make it look cute that way. And, sure enough, the tissues fit perfectly!

The conclusion? I would recommend this tutorial, but make sure your seam allowances are nice and tiny, or maybe cut your fabric a little bigger. It's especially great for scrap fabric and it's definitely very simple and quick to do, even for new sewers.

After finishing the pocket tissue tutorial I decided to take a stab at a pair of corduroy baby pants that I've been meaning to make for my step-niece. I used MADE's tutorial to make my own pattern. I carefully made the pattern based on some baby pants I'd already bought for Christmas and then I started to sew. I sewed up the side just like I was told...

...or maybe not just like I was told.

When I went to sew them together I noticed there was something wrong...they were sewed up to the top from the crotch! I didn't read the tutorial closely enough and I sewed up the wrong side, it turns out.

I couldn't be bothered to rip out the seam, since I so diligently serged the seam so it wouldn't ravel before noticing it was the wrong side. I'll have to try these again on another day.

Flower petal tutorial review and my VERY OWN tutorial coming up soon! :)


Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day, so comment away! (Hey, that rhymes!) As always, thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...