Saturday, December 18, 2010

Poinsettia Dog Collar Embellishments

NOTE: I've now made a dog collar embellishment tutorial which can be found on the tutorials page.

A couple days ago I had to pick one more last-minute Christmas present, so I headed to the open air mall near my house. Shoppers frequently bring their dogs to this mall and on this particular outing I saw a Yorkie with a giant flower bow attached to her head. Inspiration hit!

Our Pomeranian, Monica, refuses to wear bows. She's always pawing them off her head...I guess they irritate her. So my mom started sewing bandannas that slide over her collar about two years ago. I decided I could easily make a flower slide over her collar in the same way.

Since it's the Christmas season, I decided what better flower than a Poinsettia to embellish her collar? I didn't have a tutorial in mind, so I turned to Google to help me out with the details. I just searched for "Felt Poinsettia tutorial" and came up with this tutorial to guide me through my own flower-making extravaganza. I used the pattern to cut out the felt, but sewed it together my own way. This is what I came up with.



I ended up making two. One of them with a lot of petals...



And one of them with fewer flower petals.



I cut a short piece of elastic and sewed it onto the flower on one end with a zig-zag stitch to make sure it was nice and secure. To make the loop, I just tucked the other end of the elastic under and hot glued it down.



Then it was all ready to slip onto her collar! Doesn't she look adorable?



I think they turned out pretty well. This was a fun, quick little craft project and Monica will look so festive when we go up to see our family for Christmas! A more rounded flower petal might even be cute all year round. I may make a tutorial for this some other time when I'm not so busy with the holidays.

Off to Missouri for two weeks on Monday, so don't expect any posts from me for awhile. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year until next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day, so comment away! (Hey, that rhymes!) As always, thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...