Saturday, December 18, 2010

Flower Petal Pillow Review

So I said the last post would be my last for awhile, but I lied! I realized this one wouldn't make any sense to share after Christmas...so here it is!

Awhile back I tried out the Petal Pillow Tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew. It was actually my very first sewing project, so it didn't turn out quite as ornate as the one in the tutorial, but it still looks pretty good. In fact, people who haven't seen the tutorial don't know that the petals could be fuller and have actually given me compliments. (Sorry for the quality of this photo...I took it on my phone.)



The tutorial was easy to follow...my pillow turned out wonky because of my own mistakes (i.e. I didn't read the directions closely enough and my circles weren't big enough. Reading directions seems to be a common problem of mine, doesn't it?) I'd recommend this tutorial to all skill levels. If I managed it as my very first sewing project, you can, too!

I made the flower petal pillow just before Thanksgiving and I thought it might be nice to have a more wintery version of it. I decided on a felt applique Christmas tree. I cut the same half circles (all in the smaller size), but folded them into "loops" and sewed them onto the pillow with a zig-zag stitch in the general shape of a triangle. I made the triangle into a tree by using some scrap fabric to sew on a trunk.




Since I wasn't going off a tutorial, it took me awhile to get it down quite right. It's a little off, but from a distance you can't tell as much and it looks nice on my red blanket right next to the Christmas tree.



Happy Holidays! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so lovely, I will definitively try this on the upcoming Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day, so comment away! (Hey, that rhymes!) As always, thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...