Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sand Dollar Bunting

So, I know technically I'm supposed to be posting all about flowers, but I wanted to share this sand dollar bunting I made recently with you.


 After Easter I wanted a nice, summery bunting for my living room since summer is in full swing here in Florida.  I used Happy Together's Felt Sand Dollars tutorial to make 16 felt Sand Dollars.  It turned out to be a bigger feat than I would have originally thought because of the embroidery.  I certainly did not end up making my boyfriend learn how to embroider so that they'd get finished faster.  *ahem*


Anyway, I left off the part of the tutorial about putting backs on them and filling them with a little stuffing because I wanted to be able to sew straight through them, like we did with the St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Garland.  So when I finished embroidering all 16 (which took a couple days) I just sewed them all together...


And added this really cool burlap-y ribbon to both ends with big coral-colored buttons I found on clearance at Jo-Ann's for 50 cents!


I also added this to the shelf above the bunting to pull together the look:


It was cost me nothing to make.  I filled an empty spaghetti sauce jar (so handy to save!) with sea shells we picked up at the beach near my house (and so nice living in Florida!) and tied a bow around it with some jute I had on hand.

The whole look (garland and sea shell jar) only cost me $4, and most of that was the ribbon.  What I nice, inexpensive way to summer-ify a living room.  I just wish all the little birds decorations in my living room were seagulls and albatrosses now.  Lol.

See you again soon with more MayFlowers!  Until next time, happy crafting!

--CC

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sand dollar bunting! They look sort of real and compliment the sea themed jar. An understated and elegant look.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day, so comment away! (Hey, that rhymes!) As always, thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...