Saturday, August 13, 2011

Romanian Ostropel

Tonight we tried out another new recipe for our 30 Days of Eating In challenge: Ostropel.  Ostropel is a Romanian dish, but an Americanized name for it is Chicken with Garlicky Tomato Gravy.


I found the recipe on Pinterest and thought it sounded tasty, plus it's all made in one skillet and can be served over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.  We almost always have one of those staple sides leftover in our fridge, so I thought this might be another quick-and-easy weeknight meal.

I was wrong.  Maybe it was just me, but even though I read the recipe twice before making this dish, the directions were still hard to follow.  The steps seemed to be broken up oddly and I couldn't navigate through them quickly enough.  I kept having to take the whole skillet off the stove to avoid burning while I read what to do next.  Don't get me wrong--it wasn't that hard to make, it was just hard to read the recipe.

I also have gripes with the sauce.  It required me to buy ingredients that I don't normally have on hand (like chicken stock, tomato paste and chimbru) and it wasn't worth it.  I was expecting the sauce to be bold and flavorful with ingredients like tomato and garlic, but it tasted very bland.  And mixed with the chicken stock I felt like I was eating a watered down chicken/tomato soup over breaded chicken.

I guess there wasn't really anything gross about the dish.  It tasted fine and was really filling.  It was just very bland.  Honestly, after we finished eating we were full but still wanted to eat something just because we felt like we didn't get to taste much.  Usually we try things twice before calling it quits, but I don't think we'll be making this recipe again.

It wasn't all bad, though.  The chicken and the rice were good, albeit plain.  We're thinking of putting the chicken in a spicy orange sauce we've made before. (Coincidentally, we didn't like the meat that time, but the sauce was great).  We'd still serve it over the rice to make an Asiany dish.  We'll let you know how that goes and hopefully share the recipe. :)

I'm still glad we branched out and tried something new, though. 

Hope your dinner was more of a success than ours.  Happy crafting!

--CC

3 comments:

  1. Wow this looks amazing! I decided to visit today after seeing you on the "Help a momma out" link up and this caught my eye :) YUM! We would love it if you would link up to our first ever "What's Cookin' Wednesday" link party over at BreLyn Boutique! This recipe would fit in perfectly :) Looking forward to reading more from your blog! I love your new fall felt wreath too! Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melissa

    I'll try to stop by sometime! Thanks for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, I'll have to try it. But I'm curious about the etymology. is the word originally Romanian? Because my grandfather came from a town called Ostropil, in Ukraine (southern Volhynia) which is only about 110 miles due north of the Dniester, which is the border of Moldova/Bessarabia. I wonder if there is any connection?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day, so comment away! (Hey, that rhymes!) As always, thanks for reading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...